expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Friday 28 June 2013

Ça c'est l'histoire

Even positivity generates anxiety. For the first time in a long time - albeit for the wrong reasons - I'm feeling lighter and brighter; even, dare I say it, beginning to really look forward to Paris. I just pray that my relatively stable (with tendency toward mania or delirium) sustains itself throughout the trip away. One great fear is that it won't.

I haven't been away without my Mum since I was 12 years old so besides the thrill of the fast-approaching vacation there is inevitable trepidation. I cannot deny that my prevailing worries are orientated around my illness - which shames me in a sense, given that I know there are many more dangers in the big wide world other than food and my insecurities about my weight. I'm not worried about the threat of food, because, admittedly, it won't play a part in my trip away. I'm living off air and water again, but for once that scares me somewhat I'm horribly uneasy about how we will go about ensuring I have at least some marginal calorific intake over the four days so as to prevent collapse. Lucy will be incredibly supportive, that's a certainty; but how can I go about indicating that I'm about to pass out and that perhaps a drop of milk in my black tea would be a wise idea, when it's the last thing I want in reality? What if there is some physical crisis and everything is ruined? I am terrified of letting my dearest friend down.

I'm doing my utmost to put my excruciating concerns over my body image aside. I am determined that we will have the experience of a lifetime together - I just don't want to tarnish the. It's such a quandary: if I were to eat (which in my present state I cannot) I would have the physical energy but my mood would hit the floor, whereas if I did not as will be the case my mood will most likely be more elevated despite the odd unavoidable down I'm sure, but I will be at risk of exhaustion and thus the inability to do everything that we plan to, or at worst collapse. It's not as though I have much option - it's at a stage where it isn't that I don't want to, it's that I literally can't do it. All I can do is keep my fingers crossed that this so far remarkably resilient body of mine holds out the best it can, and that I can have the courage to accept the support of Lucy when it gets to the point where at least some calorific liquid needs to be consumed. It's an absolutely terrifying prospect.

Nevertheless, in devotion to the positivity I intend to impart throughout this entry, I am finally looking forward to the trip. We have so many things planned and it should be a wonderful experience for us both. Of course, pessimism taints my hopes in that I am fearful beyond words that something awful should come about so as to impede our adventures before they have even begun, but I am striving to bear in mind that there is nothing I can do about these worries - I just have to let them go, or at the very least displace them with a more pleasant occupation.

Another problem with high moods other than the likelihood of a pitiful subsequent crash is the feelings of disorientation. Everything feels so exhilarating, whirling by with such speed and unpredictability that none of it seems real. Last night I began to question whether any of reality was real or not which resonated with sickening nostalgia of my period of psychosis, when every little detail of life's fabric was completely symbolic and linked to previous or future happenings or my fate, reality a haze of distortion and confusion. It goes without saying that I haven't declined to that dizzying state again, but in my thrill the memories were fresh as the tomorrow of yesterday. 

We will be together after all which is perfect. I've been really struggling with being alone and it's getting to the point that I'm having to retire from sixth form on a more frequent basis simply because everyone else has a lesson or another priority so for a period I may have virtually no company, which I seem clinically incapable of coping with. I still feel an outsider, no matter how hard I try to smile or timidly participate in conversation with peers. There seems to be this great, perpetual pressure over me in any given social situation; generating feelings of substantial discomfort and unease which I cannot shake. It's a complete enigma: absolute intolerance of being alone but at the same time afraid of talking and being burdened with the difficulty of trying to relate to others. At least in Paris I will be with one of the few people in this world who I don't feel so awfully on edge around. I love Lucy more than I can say, and at long last I'm sensing that exhilarating excitement of exploring the beautiful city with someone so precious to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment